Where is home?
Is it where you grew up?
Is it where you were born?
Is it your parents’ house?
Is it where you rest your head?
I was asking myself this question recently. I have an interesting situation in my life. I grew up in one spot (though not one house). Then I went to a different place for college (Go Gators). While I was there, my parents moved to North Florida. Around that time, Hubs and I had decided to get married. Since we have been married, we have lived in 9 places.
What has home looked like over the years? For all of my childhood, I lived in a neighborhood in the suburbs. Then in college, I lived in dorm rooms and apartments. Since I’ve been married, home has been an apartment, base housing, suburban neighborhoods, hotel rooms on two occasions and my parents’ house.
I think that because I am a “home maker” my home is literally where I have made it. It’s where my family is, where we have routines and things that we do. It’s where we have set up life. So in that sense, home moves whenever and wherever we do. It’s not one geographical location though it could be one day. It’s not even where our stuff is, because after Katrina, home would have been at the trash dump.
What does God intend for us to believe on this subject? The Word says that we are aliens on this earth (Heb 11:9, Eph 2:19), that Jesus went to prepare a place for us in His Father’s house (Jn 14:2), that this world has nothing for us (Mt 6:19-20, 1 Tim 6:7). If home is where the heart is, and my Lord has my heart, then home is where He is. Is that true in my life though?
I will strive to make my home a place of sanctuary, of recreation, of respite, of safety for my family. But I must instill an understanding of the temporary nature of life here on earth in my kids. They must understand that we are “not home yet.”
By the way, I’m looking for some ruby slippers and a blue checked dress. I’m also considering changing one of my dogs’ names to Toto. Yep, we’re moving to Kansas (90% sure, of course)! Maybe we’ll live next door to Auntie Em…
1 comment:
I have felt the same way. I grew up in one town, in one house, and my parents still live there. Then, married Clay and moved to MI for a few years, then moved back down here, but to a town I had never even been in before. Now, where is home? My childhood home doesn't really feel like home, and I would certainly never settle there. I often wonder, if we had to retire, where would be want to "settle"? I have no idea. Maybe nothing will ever feel quite like home again,because like you said, this isn't our home.
Post a Comment